Tuesday, June 5, 2012

New Scale, and a Microwave Brownie Cake

A weight update and a recipe?  Madness!

I bought a new scale today.  It's a digital scale that also gives body fat percentage and a few other numbers, and is more accurate than my other scale, which could vary five pounds in a matter of seconds.

So my weight right now is around 220 rather than 218 like my other scale said... but that's not a big deal; just a two pound difference, and my weight varies more than that anyway.  My body fat percentage is roughly 40% which, despite being abysmal, is lower than I would have expected.

I've been having sweets attacks like mad, and because of this today I made a microwave brownie.  I forgot where I got the recipe I modified this from...I'll keep looking, but I can't seem to find it.  Whatever.

Microwave Brownies with Pecans

To make this, you need:
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin or squash.
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder.
  • 2 tablespoons whey powder or coconut flour (I've tried both, I prefer the whey but they're both good).
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans.
  • 2 egg whites.
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey (or another sweetener if you want, or omit).
  • a few pinches baking powder (makes it fluffy... you can omit if you want to avoid the corn or sodium).
  • A microwave-safe soup bowl.
  • Some oil.
Oil the inside of the soup bowl.  Add all the ingredients to it and mix until all the lumps are sorted out (if it's not perfect it'll still taste OK... in my example above I didn't get all the pumpkin mixed in).

Put in the microwave and cook on high for 1-4 minutes.  If you have a microwave that burns stuff really fast like the powerhouse we use at work, tend toward one minute.  My microwave gets it in about three minutes.

If you want to avoid the baking powder, I hear from some folks that you can just whip the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold everything else into it.  I'll have to try that before I actually endorse it, though.