Friday, June 1, 2012

Apple Cider Pork

I make a lot of lunchboxes.  This isn't ideal, but I work long hours and away from home, so it's essential that I make good lunchboxes to avoid succumbing to Taco Bell like everyone else.  This is my new favorite lunchbox filler:
Apple Cider Pork
I make a lot of pork, for many reasons.  It's less expensive than beef, it's delicious, and it's my God's sacred animal.  I make a lot of it with apple cider these days, to avoid drenching it in barbecue sauce, usually just pan-fried in a little lard with some cider thrown in halfway through the cooking process.

This, though, is my favorite recipe.

I started with two large pork chops.  Start some lard (two teaspoons this time) on my frying pan and cut the chops into strips with a meat scissors.  If you're left with a bone that still has a good amount of meat on it, toss that in there too so you have something to chew after.  I brown the outsides a little before adding enough apple cider vinegar to cover them about halfway.

At this point I cut up an apple (in this case a red delicious, any apple works but a baking apple would be better) and an onion.  When they're cut, I put them in the mix with the pork and mix it all up.  Put some seasoning on it to taste (I admit I just use a little Lawry's Seasoned Salt).  Cover the pan and let it cook down.  I like it when everything's all caramelized and gooey, you can see some of the blackness from the vinegar and water having all cooked away.  Pay attention, though, because you don't want it too burnt.

It also tastes good if you just cook it down until there's a nice apple-onion-vinegar sauce.